Troubles with new update
Topics related to RedWaves lite theme goes here.

Svitlana

Member Rank

Troubles with new update

linkPost by Svitlana » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Hey!
I have RedWaves Lite installed. A couple days age a new update came and I updated it. That was my mistake, as I didn't imagine that the design is changed. When I choose a theme - one of the main reason to choose something because I like design. And when it gets changed .. it's like I install a theme a don't like.
But that is not the main problem. My side panel just gone and it took me some efforts to restore it.
And in mobile version all images are stretched out, which is unacceptable. It just ruins everything :cry:
Asmi Khalil

Site Admin Rank
Display Name: Asmi Khalil

Re: Troubles with new update

linkPost by admin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Oh no please don't be angry I am really sorry about those bugs. Version 2.0.3 is on the way to be released and I am begging the reviewer to approve & release it as soon as possible. here are the version 2.0.2 & 2.0.3 tickets at wordpress.org:
https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26381
https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26429

I didn't knew about the Stretched thumbnails bug until you reported it but Sidebar widgets bug was fixed in 2.0.2. version 2.0.3 should fix all the bugs including the Stretched thumbnails bug. But if you don't already know, all themes available at Wordpress.org must be manually reviewed by a reviewer and approved by an admin before they get released and become available for download. This is why it takes time for a theme to be released/updated at wordpress.org.

But in the meantime, you can fix those bugs easily without much struggle:

To fix Sidebar widgets not been displayed:
Fix N°1:
From your WordPress dashboard, Go to Appearance => Customize => Design & Layout and change the Sidebar Settings to Left Sidebar or No Sidebar and Save. Now you can choose Right Sidebar option again.

Fix N°2 ( Permanent Solution ):
Open sidebar.php file using Cpanel or WordPress Editor (under Appearance) and change line 15 from:
$sidebar_settings = get_theme_mod( 'sidebar_settings' );
to:
$sidebar_settings = get_theme_mod( 'sidebar_settings', 'right_sidebar' );
To fix Stretched thumbnails on mobile view:

Open style.css file using a text editor and remove height: 100%; from: (line 2141)
	.post-img, .post-data { 
		width: 100% !important; 
		height: 100%;
	}
and from: (line 2148)
	.post-img img {
		padding-right: 0%;
		width: 100%;
		height: 100%;
	}
Now concerning the design, I didn't actually made any major changes to it. Just Go to Appearance => Customize => Design & Layout and un-check Enable Shadows and set the Background color to #FFFFFF. this will give you a very similar look to version 1.0.6.

Now if you are wondering why I have removed the zoom-in effect on thumbnail mouseover? here is why: to implement this effect, I must set a fixed width & height for the thumbnail container. And because RedWaves lite is very responsive theme it changes its layout very often. So I found myself writing many CSS media queries & styles. But because different browsers render CSS differently there is no guarantee that the thumbnail size will look perfect on most browsers. Besides Ive found it a bit laggy on mobile devices. So I have removed this animation and replaced it with a better one. I really don't know why you prefer the old design over this. The new design is simply more MODERN! Take a look at Google's websites & android apps, they are looking Realistic and clean. I just was trying to give a similar desing without using any framework like Bootstrap or MDL.

Hope this post helped you and answered your questions :)
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. - IBM chairman Thomas Watson, 1943
Svitlana

Member Rank

linkPost by Svitlana » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:02 pm

I was able to restore my side panel (did it similar to fix#1 you mentioned).
Speaking of design.. I know that a clean look is more modern nowdays. In fact I made a custom CSS over this theme to make it even more cleaner. With new design a lot of my improvements gone. But it's not a problem. I'll figure this out.

Hopefully this images issue in mobile version will be fixed in the next release.

I also noticed that cannot change post date. Let's say I created a draft Aug 10th and was working for a couple days. Now I want to schedule it for Aug 14th. But when I change the date - it seems not to be saved to DB. After refreshing I still see old date. Not sure though that this is related to a theme update (can be WP update or some plugin). I just noticed this issue a couple days ago.

Thank you!
Asmi Khalil

Site Admin Rank

linkPost by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Svitlana wrote: I also noticed that cannot change post date. Let's say I created a draft Aug 10th and was working for a couple days. Now I want to schedule it for Aug 14th. But when I change the date - it seems not to be saved to DB. After refreshing I still see old date. Not sure though that this is related to a theme update (can be WP update or some plugin). I just noticed this issue a couple days ago.
No this is not related to the theme. Maybe because of a poor connection. Have you installed any plugin that change or add something to the WP post editor? Deactivate all your plugins and try again. WordPress core updates are very stable (unless you have installed a beta version) so I don't think this issue is related to Wordpress update.

Edit: Version 2.0.3 is Live & available for downlaod https://wordpress.org/themes/redwaves-lite
Everyone please update.
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. - IBM chairman Thomas Watson, 1943
Sree

Member Rank

linkPost by Sree » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Two issues that I've seen after the update:

1) When the headline goes into two lines, there is a lot of gap between those two lines. See the example in the attachment.

2) In the archive view, when the picture is shown next to the headline and excerpt, the picture and the headline are not aligned. The picture is about 15 px higher than the headline, which looks a little odd especially when there's a background color or image. If the background is white, it's not noticeable. To fix this, I gave 15 px margin to both the wp-post-image class as well as .category-box .a . That solved it.

I've not got time to fix the vertical space in the headline issue yet.
Sree

Member Rank

linkPost by Sree » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:17 am

One more tweak I did for wp-post-image (for the archive listing) is to give it a fixed height (200 px in my case) and also give it 'object-fit:cover;' attribute to ensure that the picture was not stretched in any way, but would be centered and cut. It looks much better now. Otherwise, each excerpt had a different height because of the height difference in the picture.
Asmi Khalil

Site Admin Rank

linkPost by admin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:38 am

Sree wrote:Two issues that I've seen after the update:

1) When the headline goes into two lines, there is a lot of gap between those two lines. See the example in the attachment.

2) In the archive view, when the picture is shown next to the headline and excerpt, the picture and the headline are not aligned. The picture is about 15 px higher than the headline, which looks a little odd especially when there's a background color or image. If the background is white, it's not noticeable. To fix this, I gave 15 px margin to both the wp-post-image class as well as .category-box .a . That solved it.

I've not got time to fix the vertical space in the headline issue yet.
Hi Sree!

1) As a web design standard, the line-height value (the gap betweens two line) should be between 1.3em and 1.6em. and as i remember i've set the line-height proprety to 1.6em for the post/page title but you can ovewrrite it using CSS but keep in mind that you should not choose a value less than 1.3em or you titles will look ugly and harder to read.

2) Again this is not an issue but a design standard. If you select the text, you will see that the thumbnail & selected title are on the same level. But you can set a negative margin-top to make the title goes up a bit. i.e: margin-top: -5px;
Asmi Khalil

Site Admin Rank

linkPost by admin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:48 am

Sree wrote:One more tweak I did for wp-post-image (for the archive listing) is to give it a fixed height (200 px in my case) and also give it 'object-fit:cover;' attribute to ensure that the picture was not stretched in any way, but would be centered and cut. It looks much better now. Otherwise, each excerpt had a different height because of the height difference in the picture.
No. Don't ever set fixed width/height for a responsive theme HTML elements unless you know what are you doing. Please read the theme documentation: it's required to regenerate thumbnails when you switch to another theme or your thumbnails will not have the same size. Use Regenerate Thumbnails plugin to do automate the procedure. After regenerating thumbnails, they will all look great and not stretched or scaled.
bennieCix

New Member Rank
Display Name: bennieCix

Troubles with new update

linkPost by bennieCix » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:54 pm

ok i got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and its got ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
i went on google and typed that in and there is the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Graphics
is that better for my laptop and would it work
sorry but im a complete noob with computers