Anyone been able to integrate BBPress "forums" with Realistic?
Topics related to Realistic theme goes here.

dnuttall

Member Rank

Anyone been able to integrate BBPress "forums" with Realistic?

linkPost by dnuttall » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:18 pm

I've installed BBpress forums on a site with the free Realistic theme, but the layout needs "help" in order for it to appear that it is truly integrated.

Anyone got an example of what can be done to make forums display nicely with Realistic?

I'm using a child so I'm aware that tinkering within a child doesn't mess up the baseline version.

PM me and I'll share a link/example of what I've got.

TIA.
Dave
San Antonio, Texas
Asmi Khalil

Site Admin Rank
Display Name: Asmi Khalil

Re: Anyone been able to integrate BBPress "forums" with Realistic?

linkPost by admin » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi dnuttall,
Thanks for visiting us again :)
The problem is that Realistic has serious problem with child theme. I tried once to make a child theme of Realistic, but the parent theme style.css couldn't be loaded. I guess you need to copy all parent theme style.css content and paste them into your child theme style.css.
Or maybe we should not use child themes at all. Few CSS adjustments would be enough. Tell me what you think? and give me your website URL and I will do my best to help you.
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. - IBM chairman Thomas Watson, 1943
shibaa987

VIP Member Rank
Display Name: shibaa987

linkPost by shibaa987 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:40 am

dnuttall wrote:I've installed BBpress forums on a site with the free Realistic theme, but the layout needs "help" in order for it to appear that it is truly integrated.

Anyone got an example of what can be done to make forums display nicely with Realistic?

I'm using a child so I'm aware that tinkering within a child doesn't mess up the baseline version.
Hi Dave, I am using BBpress with Realistic theme. It works well and I have manually modified some code (very minimal though) based on my requirement, like: font size, ad code insertion in some places etc. BBpress has it's own css and many other page layout changes which is independent of Realistic (or any theme basically).

You can have a look at the forum link here:
http://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/
dnuttall

Member Rank

linkPost by dnuttall » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks to "encouragement" from shibaa987, I've been able to learn a lot and find a solution! :D

I have an up-to-date install of WP with a child-theme of Realistic, version 1.2.3
I have been an avid user of "Advanced Code Editor" plugin. (https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-code-editor/)

While looking thru the "codex" for bbPress, I happened to come across some very precise pages on customizing the look/feel of bbPress.
Look at: https://codex.bbpress.org/bbpress-styling-crib/

About mid-way in the part 2 (of 3) there is a specific section that describes how to get bbpress.css to be integrated/managed with a CHILD theme.
Basically it implies that you create a folder named "css" in your child theme's "home" and copy the bbpress.css from the plugin/templates/default to the child theme's css folder.

I was able to SEE even the smallest change made to the child-theme/css/bbpress.css file by refreshing a browser showing the opening page of my forums.

HOWEVER, for some unknown reason, the "Advanced Code Editor" doesn't recognize the "css" folder when I wanted to edit the "clone" of bbpress.css.

So I had to fall back on one of the earliest system administrator "tricks" I learned in the early 1980s as I became a UNIX system admin->guru/consultant.

I logged into my host with "putty", navigated to the realistic-child-theme folder and executed "the trick":

MyHostname $ ln -s css/bbpress.css bbpress.css <ENTER KEY PRESS>

Refresh back in the Advanced Code Editor and "voila"....behold the miracle: I can now see the bbpress.css is available to the code editor to search/edit, etc.

it's called a "symbolic link" and it basically tricks the operating system into showing a file as in a local directory/folder when in fact it actually exists elsewhere.

Hopefully, this will be of some interest to someone. I'd be honored to entertain PMs regarding this idea, but I may or may not be monitoring follow-up posts to this thread if you happen to use that instead of PM.

Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, Texas
Asmi Khalil

Site Admin Rank
Display Name: Asmi Khalil

linkPost by admin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi Dave and sorry for my late answer :oops:
If I understand correctly, Advanced Code Editor plugin is a syntax highlighter for WP plugin & theme code editor. But why would need such feature? Editing WordPress files using WP code editor is not very practical; Forget a semicolon and your whole WP website will crash. I would recommend using FileZilla ( a very good FTP client ) and edit files on your desktop.

Regarding BBpress, I would recommend adding the following CSS rules to remove notice/hint border-radius and align the Subscribe button to the right:
#subscription-toggle {
    float: right;
}
div.bbp-template-notice, div.indicator-hint {
    border-radius: 0;
}
One more thing, check this image:
The Black text on Red background and Red text on blue background look terrible. I would suggest to use the following CSS rules to change text color:
#bbpress-forums li.bbp-header, #bbpress-forums li.bbp-footer {
    color: #fff;
}
#bbpress-forums div.odd, #bbpress-forums ul.odd {
    color: #333;
}
You will get this result:
Check @shibaa987 forum, it looks clean and simple: http://www.cyanogenmods.org/forums/

@shibaa987, thanks for your input :)
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. - IBM chairman Thomas Watson, 1943
shibaa987

VIP Member Rank
Display Name: shibaa987

linkPost by shibaa987 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:49 am

Hi Dave,

I am sorry for the late response. I am unable to reply back to your PM (I did not find a reply link or button to reply to the PM basically) and so replying here.

I will tell you how I have updated the code. I have directly modified the code into bbpress plugin itself and not created a child theme for the plugin (which is a bad way to deal with Wordpress or Wordpress plugins. Now it's the time probably I should get things done in a managed way by creating a child theme and work on that :) ).

So, I loaded the forums page, I saw all the forums were organized ugly and separated just by a comma. I wanted a forum to appear in a new line. That's the only change I have done and now it looks clean.

How did I find where I have to modify?
  • I did a right click > Inspect Element (on a browser) on some forum list to see the code associated with that part and found that is wrapped under the forums list.
  • I found that all the forums under a bbpress category is wrapped under bbp-forums-list class.
  • I logged in to my web hosting through ssh and did a grep inside wp-conten/plugins/bbpress/ directory to see which bbpress plugin file is really updating this forums layout and found that it is includes/forums/template.php file (inside bbpress plugin directory)
    You can access the same file using Wordpress plugin editor and traversing to the above path.
  • I have just added a break <br> where the forum list is populated.
Inside the function bbp_list_forums( $args = '' ) there is a field 'link_after' => '</li>',
I just replaced to the following: 'link_after' => '</li><br>',

That's all I did. And for the font size and other text related customization you need to find the relevant css code, test it on your browser first by modifying the values and then update in your bbpress css.

And for the third sidebar, yes it is customized by Asmi. Here is the link that explains how to add a left sidebar in Realistic theme.