Is this forum "plugin" available?
Topics related to RedWaves lite theme goes here.

dnuttall

Member Rank

Is this forum "plugin" available?

linkPost by dnuttall » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:16 am

I'd like to have a really nice, clean forum plugin like this one to use with RedWaves-lite.

Is it available?
How much?
Thanks.
Dave
Asmi Khalil

Site Admin Rank
Display Name: Asmi Khalil

Re: Is this forum "plugin" available?

linkPost by admin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Hello Dave,

Unfortunately, this forum is powered by a totally different forum software called phpBB (https://www.phpbb.com/) and I created the current Material Design theme using the default theme Prosilver (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/prosilver/) and the frontend framework Bootstrap Material Design (https://fezvrasta.github.io/bootstrap-material-design/) which is the same used on Themient.com.

This theme is not publicly available so I cannot provide a download link.

If you want to have a forum on your website, I highly recommend bbPress (https://bbpress.org/) which is a WordPress plugin. phpBB has 99% of the features you can find on any forum online but it is not user-friendly like WordPress and requires much more effort to maintain (you need to update the theme and all installed extensions each time you update the phpBB and make sure they all work ok)
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. - IBM chairman Thomas Watson, 1943
dnuttall

Member Rank

linkPost by dnuttall » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I know bbPress is a major player. Did NOT know about the maintenance issues!

I found something called "WPforo" that LOOKS a lot like what you've done here. Probably will create a couple of throw-away sites just to see how they compare.

My user community will likely be quite small and there is only "one aging copy" of me to do the work!

Thanks again.
Redwaves-Lite is working well for me.
d.
Asmi Khalil

Site Admin Rank
Display Name: Asmi Khalil

linkPost by admin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I know bbPress is a major player. Did NOT know about the maintenance issues!
To be honest, you don't have to work on phpBB daily or weekly or even monthly to maintain it. But from time to time your current version becomes outdated and you want to jump to next version and this is when everything goes wrong. ie. phpBB 3.0 themes and extensions (they don't even call them extensions for phpBB 3.0, they are called Mods) don't work on phpBB 3.1 and most of phpBB 3.1 themes and extensions don't work on phpBB 3.2. So you need to test everything locally and change what you need to change then update your online board.

Out of the box, phpBB has everything you need so you don't really need any mods or extensions but you should have a custom theme installed.
I found something called "WPforo" that LOOKS a lot like what you've done here. Probably will create a couple of throw-away sites just to see how they compare.
WPforo is a whole forum plugin so I still recommend bbPress just for the fact that the latter is maintained by the guy behind WordPress itself and other WP core developers and it has bigger community (300000+ vs 10000+ active installs). This means better support from third-party plugins and themes and the possibility to migrate your data to other platforms in case you need to.

You should choose the right forum plugin for you based on community support and features you need. The design can easily be changed using a theme or another plugin. But there is nothing wrong with testing everything locally and see how each solution works.
My user community will likely be quite small and there is only "one aging copy" of me to do the work!
Better to have everything right from the start! If you want your users to be able to login on both the forum and the main website using the same credentials, then am afraid WordPress is your only option (I never heard of a forum software that fully syncs with WP), if not, then you can install a separate forum on a subfolder or subdomain and to keep the design consistent, you need to use the same font and color scheme and probably have the same footer and header.
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. - IBM chairman Thomas Watson, 1943